Thursday, April 30, 2009

Peer-to-Peer networks allow for computers on the same network to have access to other computers who are on that same network. For instance, three computers can be connected to one printer, which allows all of the computers to print from the one printer.

Some internet peer-to-peer networks are used to download music files over the internet. If the music is copyrighted then this act is illegal, however not all peer-to-peer networks are illegal. Since I have begun using computers, I have used at home peer-to-peer networks as well as Client-server networks and Internet peer-to-peer networks. At home, as well as in my mom’s office, I can print a document from any computer to just one printer, a result of a P2P home network. I can also have Internet access on any of the computers who are a part of the network. As for Internet peer-to-peer, I have used this type of network for downloading music.

The use of P2P Home networks and Internet P2P networks to share some types of files is illegal because of the Copyright law. For instance, if a music producer puts a copyright label on the music then downloading it from a peer on an internet network is illegal. However, users can pay for their music and the act is legal.

I support government intervention on this type of activity because I pay for my music from iTunes. I used to download illegally until I started hearing about all the different consequences, usually resulting in large amounts of fees that are much more then to just pay for my music. I know that I cannot be sued for up to thousands of dollars since I pay. Also, the quality of the music is much better. The University does not encourage any illegal internet activity.

1 comment: